OrmPS Home Learning Principles:
- Recognises the wide range of after-school activities.
- Encourages positive family interactions.
- Allows relaxed time for children to pursue their own learning.
- Children need life skills as well as academic skills to cope with life beyond school and home.
- Parents and educators work together for the benefit of all children.
At Ormiston Primary, we have the 4CL Home Learning Grid. The grid is made up of 12 squares, with each grid representing a new activity or goal that is either compulsory or one your child could choose to do. These activities are designed to be completed within a period of time appropriate to your child’s year group;
- Year 1 and 2: up to 10 minutes a day.
- Year 3 and 4: up to 20 minutes a day.
- Year 5 and 6: up to 30 minutes a day.
The 4CL grid is for a period of two weeks:
- The shaded boxes are compulsory.
- Learners are encouraged to choose activities from each of the 4C’s over the two week period.
- Home Learning activities will not be marked formally by Learning Coaches, however, we encourage parents/caregivers to initial those activities completed.
- There will be an opportunity at the end of the two weeks for learners to celebrate what they have been doing at home with their peers and learning during their Habitat Hui.
Each child has their own school Google Account and their own Hero account.
We also support two digital learning subscriptions: Mathletics and Reading Eggs. Each child is assigned their own account for Mathletics and Reading Eggs. All details of Google account and digital subscriptions can be found on the Digital Passwords page through our digital platform HERO.
Mathletics can be accessed either in the app or online- login.mathletics.com.
Your child’s Learning Coach will assign activities weekly to encourage them to practise and consolidate what they have been learning at school. Learners can also use their console to participate in Live Mathletics, choose their own activity or design their avatar. It is expected that your child would earn a minimum of 1000 points a week. Learners not only earn digital certificates depending on the number of points they have received but also participate in our school-wide competition to earn the most points per term for their Habitat.
Points are awarded as follows:
- 1000 points = 1 Bronze certificate
- 5 Bronze certificates = 1 Silver certificate
- 4 Silver = 1 Gold certificate
Is an online interactive reading program that can be accessed online- https://readingeggs.co.nz/
Reading Eggs was created by expert educators with over 30 years of experience.
The multi-award winning early learning resource supports your child’s learn to read journey with carefully designed online reading games and activities that are easy to follow, self-paced, and highly engaging for young children.
By incorporating Reading Eggs into your child’s daily routine, you will be helping to prepare them for the same structured learning they will need to succeed and feel confident at school.